Grilling and the outdoors go hand in hand. There’s something that just feels right about delicious grill prepared food while enjoying the great outdoors.
There are a few different ways you can make it happen – maybe you have a portable grill or smoker! But there’s another option that’s very affordable and easy to manage; the campfire grill.
The campfire grill unlocks a world of possibility for your outdoor adventures. In this article, we have a run down of the best campfire grill choices on the market today! Stick around until the end for tips and advice on how to get the most out of your grill.
In a Rush? Here’s Our Top Picks:
[amalinkspro_table id=”1286″ aff-id=”undefined” new-window=”on” nofollow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
What is a Campfire Grill?
Campfire grills or grill grates are designed to sit over an open fire or fire pit. They’re ideal for camping for a few reasons. First and foremost, building camp fires is a pretty common activity for the outdoorsman. It’s nice to leave a little bit less of a carbon footprint by cooking over your camp fire, instead of making a second fire for your grill.
Campfire grill grates offer a flat cooking surface over your heat source, which does a really nice job of providing an even cooking environment for your food.
Campfire grills are also most often highly portable and relatively lightweight. So they’re pretty easy to pack in along with the rest of your gear, and they open up a bunch of possibilities for dinner time.
The best campfire grill will allow for you to either grill foods on the grate itself with direct heat, or also use pots and pans on top of it. Be sure to pay attention to which grates you buy, as some are not designed for direct heat grilling.
Best Campfire Grill Reviews
Stromberg Carlson GR-1522 Stake and Grille
- Stake & Grill
- Refer to manufacturer recommendations to ensure a proper fit
- Constructed of quality, durable materials
- Quick and easy installation
There’s no denying that the Stromberg Carlson GR-1522 Stake and Grille is at the top when it comes to the best campfire grill.
It simply has all of the features that you love to see, and it’s incredibly easy to take on the go. Design wise, it’s assembled by placing a 36″ long stake into the ground. From there, a 15″ x 22″ stainless steel grill grate (330 square inches of cooking surface area) slides on to the stake.
You can easily adjust the height level of the grill grate thanks to a locking handle, which comes in handy when you might have built your fire a little too hot or not hot enough. The locking mechanism is strong enough to hold up lots of food and heavy dishes or full coffee pots.
Installation is easy, and the entire set up process can be completed in less than a minute. When it’s time to pack up, the grate can easily be washed and stored with the stake in a heavy duty nylon bag for storage and transport.
The last feature of the Stromberg Stake and Grille that we love is the presence of up-turned edges on the grill grate. It’s a nice safety measure that ensures your rogue hot dogs or sausages won’t roll off of the grate even if the grate was set up at a slight angle.
Things We Like
- Adjustable height stake and grate design
- High quality stainless steel material used for construction
- Heavy duty nylon bag for easy storage and transport
- Large grilling grate with 330 square inches of cooking surface area
- Up-turned grate edges
- Direct heat grilling & also will support cast iron pots and pans
Things We Don’t
- Relatively speaking, the price is above average for a campfire grill
Gravity Grill Open Fire Camping Grill
- GameMaker makes cooking outdoor open fire cooking fun, quick and easy with the Gravity Combo (grill & skillet). It's the 'heavy duty' solution for grilling on the go.
- The GameMaker, Gravity Combo (Grill & Skillet) is an ultra-portable campfire cooking system.
- It sets up & breaks down with no tools needed. Both, the grill and skillet are easily adjusted with a 'lift & set' process - gravity and leverage do the rest
- Made In the USA. Simply drive the stake in the ground next to your fire and pivot the grill and skillet over to begin cooking
- THe Gravity Grill Combo is the ultimate solution for camping enthusiast looking to cook a decent meal over the open fire. Can be used with any type of fire, form wood, charcoal, propane units or even high temperature turkey burners
If you’re looking for a premium experience at the camp site, then the Gravity Grill Open Fire Camping Grill is well worth a look.
This campfire grill is king when it comes to the capabilities it gives you cooking wise over your fire. Most notably, it comes with two cooking surfaces – a grilling grate and a griddle. These two cooking surfaces allow for you to cook everything from a pancake breakfast to a steak dinner.
You can also easily adjust the height and angle of each cooking surface, giving you maximum flexibility when you’re working over your fire. It also breaks down nicely for easy storage and transportation when it’s not in use.
Things We Like
- 2 cooking surfaces included – grill grate and skillet
- Adjustable height and rotatable
- Easy to set up and break down
- Durable and will last multiple seasons
Things We Don’t
- On the pricey end of the spectrum
REDCAMP Folding Campfire Grill
- HEAVY DUTY & PORTABLE: Legs angle out for stability and help to take the weight. Legs can also be folded up for easy transport and compact storage. The outdoor Stainless Steel folding campfire grill with carrying Bag is essential gear for camping, backpacking, backcountry treks and more.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: The over-the-fire camping grill is made of 304 stainless steel grate and the legs are made of 201 stainless steel. This helps the grill resist oxidation and corrosion. Stainless steel also makes it lighter and more durable than iron.
- TWO SIZES AVAILABLE: The small heavy duty grill itself measures 13.6"*9"*6.5"（LxWxH）when unfolded and 13.6"*9"*1"（LxWxH） when folded. The large heavy duty grill itself measures 17"*12.6"*5.7"（LxWxH）when unfolded and 17.3"*12.6"*1"（LxWxH） when folded.
- VERSATILE COOKING OPTIONS: Use the camping grill for cooking over an open fire with existing outdoor cookwares to make delicious outdoor feasts, hot coffee, stacks of pancakes, fried eggs and crispy bacon. You can also heat up a meal or grill food in a pan, boil water over the campfire on top of this freestanding backpack camping grate.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: REDCAMP offers a 365-day limited manufacturer warranty. If you're not satisfied for any reason, please contact us immediately and we will give you a reply within 24 hours.
If you’re looking for the best campfire grill for the money, check out the Redcamp Folding Campfire Grill. It’s offered at a great price, and can turn any small to medium sized fire into an outdoor grill in a snap.
Perhaps my favorite part about this grate is that it’s made of high quality 304 stainless steel. You have to be careful with many campfire grills – many of them are made of lower quality material and actually are painted over. You should never put food directly on these grills as paint can chip off and lead to toxins in your food.
That’s never a worry with the Redcamp. The stainless steel grate offers a generous enough 214 square inches of cooking surface area. Foldable legs are easy to set up and break down, and the entire unit only weighs about 3 pounds.
Things We Like
- Extremely lightweight and portable – only around 3 pounds!
- 304 stainless steel body and cooking grate construction
- Very durable and safe to cook on
- Bargain priced
Things We Don’t
- No adjustable height mechanism
Texsport Heavy Duty Adjustable Outdoor Camping Rotisserie Grill and Spit
- Stainless steel rotisserie stops in 4 positions for delicious, slow-roasted flavor
- 24" x 16" grilling surface. Tough welded construction
- Simple thumb-screw adjusts height of grill and rotisserie
- Twin steel side arms can swing into position to keep potted food warm
- Easy assembly and take-down without tools. Weighs 16.5 lbs.
For those of you who enjoy an old school rotisserie cooked meal, the Texsport Heavy Duty Outdoor Camping Grill and Spit offers the versatility of a campfire grill along with a rotisserie grilling option.
Basic thumb screw adjusters allow for you to control the height of both your rotisserie and grilling surface. The downside of this campfire grill is that the grilling surface is painted and therefore not designed for direct contact with food. So you’ll have to utilize this surface by placing cookware or cast iron pots/pans on top.
Another unique feature offered by the Texsport is twin steel side arms which are in place to help keep potted food warm. Depending on your coffee canister, it’s also a viable place to hang your coffee to keep warm as well.
It’s an all around solid choice, especially if you see yourself utilizing a rotisserie around the campfire. Assembly is easy enough and can be done without having to use any tools. The entire unit weighs about 16.5 pounds, so it’s also a reasonable weight to carry around while setting up your campsite.
Things We Like
- Rotisserie design & spit included
- 384 square inches of cooking surface area on main grate
- Adjustable height for both rotisserie and grate
- Easy set up and tear down
- Steel side arms are ideal for keeping pots and kettles warm
Things We Don’t
- Main cooking grate is not suitable for direct contact cooking, you have to use pots or pans
AmazonBasics Portable Outdoor Folding Campfire Grill
- Heavy-duty campfire grill for cooking over an open fire
- Made of high-quality welded steel with a steel-mesh grill top
- For use with outdoor cookware, including heavy cast iron (not intended for direct-contact grilling)
- Legs angle out for stability and fold up underneath for easy transport and compact storage
- Medium size: 18.5" x 11.8" x 6.7" (LxWxH)
The AmazonBasics Portable Outdoor Folding Campfire Grill is a great bare bones choice. It suits the needs of many and is offered at the lowest price of any product on this best campfire grill list.
It’s made of high quality welded steel, but is painted so it’s not designed for direct contact grilling. You’ll need to bring your pots and pans to utilize this grill.
But, if that doesn’t bother you this grill has a lot to offer. It’s sturdily built and has a foldable leg design, which makes it incredibly convenient to transport and store while it’s not in use.
Last but not least, it’s offered in two different sizes. The smaller version measures 18.5″ x 12″ for a cooking surface area of 222 square inches, whereas the larger version measures 37″ x 18″ for a cooking surface area of 665 square inches.
Things We Like
- Entry level price point
- Very lightweight
- Foldable leg design means minimal storage footprint
Things We Don’t
- No adjustable height
- Due to paint it’s not suitable for direct contact grilling
Heavy Duty Large 24″ Folding Campfire Grill
- ✅ HEAVY DUTY & COMPACT - Made from high quality coated steel with sturdy legs, this portable folding camping grill has been carefully designed with space in mind. Our unique and simple folding design makes this barbecue ultra compact and won't take up too much space in your already loaded vehicles.
- ✅ GREAT SIZE FOR CAMPING - A very generous cooking surface size for any outdoor camp or campground. Whether you're cooking for one or a whole social gathering, the cooking surface space is excellent. This barbecue measures 24 inches x 12 inches with a height of 9 inches.
- ✅ VERSATILE - This campfire grill grate features a cleverly designed griddle and grill grate combo and can be used over hot coals ideally, or a small open flame fire or fire pit. Whether you want to cook bacon, eggs, toast, steaks, pancakes, sausages or even pineapple slices, we have you covered for just about everything!
- ✅ EASY TO USE - The foldable design of this barbecue not only makes it compact to store, it is super simple to set up when you arrive. No tools required, you can simply unfold the legs, stand it up, and it is ready to use! It's that easy! It also features handy carry handles to make the barbecue portable to move easily.
- ✅ GUARANTEE - We're an Australian brand and we love our camping. Therefore we know you'll love our products because we sure do! If you are not happy with your product, please reach out to us because we will do what we can to make things right!
The Adventure Seeka Heavy Duty Campfire Grill has a lot of features you like to see. At 24″ x 12″ in cooking surface area (288 square inches), it’s not the largest choice – but makes up for it with quite a few practical features.
The cooking surface is designed with a half griddle surface and a half grated cooking surface. Both are ideal for direct contact grilling, and between the two you can handle all types of cooking. Everything from pancakes, french toast, hot dogs, burgers, to steaks are possible on this grill.
It also has one of the most well executed folding designs out of any portable grill I’ve seen. The Adventure Seeka essentially folds in half with carrying handles coming out of one side. There are also no tools required for set up and tear down. So when it’s time to actually take it on the go, most of the work is already done for you.
Things We Like
- Griddle and traditional grate design
- Stainless steel grates and griddle surface are great for direct contact grilling
- Folds in half with carrying handles
- 288 square inches of cooking surface area
- Set up and tear down is completely hassle free
Things We Don’t
- Can’t adjust the height
The Perfect CampfireGrill, Pioneer, 18-Inch
- Solid steel camping grill
- Designed for any sized meal
- Grill grate has a raised edge so food doesn't end up in the fire
- Includes travel tote bag
- Measures 18-Inch in diameter
The 18 inch Perfect Campfire Grill is also worthy of consideration on this best campfire grill list, and is unique in that the grate shape is circular. The 18″ grate diameter translates to about 254 square inches of cooking surface area to work with.
Stainless steel was the material used in the construction of the grates, which do a fantastic job of evenly distributing heat to your food. A raised edge design also helps to hold your food on the grilling surface in the unlikely event that you set up your grate unevenly.
No special tools are required for assembly, and the grate height can be easily adjusted to suit your needs depending on how large or hot your fire is burning.
Last but not least, an included travel tote bag comes with the purchase of this grill. It’s a perfect bag to store your campfire grill in while it’s not in use.
Things We Like
- Reasonable price
- Stainless steel cooking grates
- Raised edges around the grates
- Travel bag included
- Adjustable height
Things We Don’t
- Not a ton of cooking surface area
- Some customers have complained about welding issues becoming apparent after a few uses
Best Campfire Grill – Features to Look For
When comparing different campfire grills, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and not know which features are actually important, and which are just marketing nonsense. Here’s our quick no nonsense list of the features you should look for when comparing one best campfire grill to another.
Some campfire grills are designed to be stand alone and some are mounted on a stake. Freestanding ones are probably a tiny bit more user friendly, but lack the ability to adjust the distance your grates rest above your fire.
Stake mounted grates on the other hand are generally more versatile, as you can easily adjust how high and far away they are set over your fire.
Generally speaking, we definitely prefer stake mounted grates simply because they offer more versatility – but they typically cost more. So if you’re on a budget or don’t mind a simple and straightforward grate, then a freestanding grate could be a great fit for you.
Direct Surface Grilling
Pay attention to whether or not the grate is safe for direct surface grilling. You’d be surprised to know that many campfire grates actually aren’t safe for food to cook directly on them. The reason is typically because a cheaper type of metal is used for the grates which are painted during the construction process.
Even though the paint might not be dangerous per se, you most definitely don’t want it coming off of your grate and getting into your food. It’s gross at a minimum and potentially toxic.
Painted grates are fine, you just need to understand that you’ll be cooking your food in pots or pans that sit on top of your grate.
If you prefer the luxury of direct cooking, make sure your grates are food safe – and most preferably made of stainless steel or cast iron.
This might sound like a “duh” thing to bring up, but size is important. Think about how many campers you’ll typically be cooking for, and ensure that you have enough grilling surface area to accommodate.
It’s not a big deal if you have to make a few batches of hot dogs or burgers, but I promise the last thing you want to do all day is be on grill duty while everyone else enjoys the outdoors.
This one might also sound obvious, but think about your budget. For reference, you can get an extremely cheap freestanding, non-direct grilling grate for around $20. On the more expensive end for premium campfire grills, expect to pay closer to $200. There also are many options in between those two price points!
I hope this round up of the best campfire grills has been beneficial to you! Camping and cooking go hand in hand as far as I’m concerned, and well cooked campfire food is sure to make a great meal and great memories.
Which campfire grill did you end up with? We’d love to hear which one you got in the comments section below!
Check out our reviews of the best portable propane fire pits next if you want to take a look at another great camping accessory!