This content contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link on this page, we might receive a commission at no cost to you.
Tater tot casserole is a classic comfort food that everyone should have in their recipe repitoire. It’s a simple dish that combines ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cheese, and, of course, tater tots.
The result is a hearty and delicious meal that’s perfect for any occasion!
One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s so easy to make. All you need is a few basic ingredients and a little bit of time in the kitchen. Even if you’re not a seasoned chef, you’ll be able to whip up this tasty dish with ease.
What Goes In A Tater Tot Casserole?
Let’s talk about the ingredients. For this recipe, you’ll need 1 lb of ground beef, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup of sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of diced onion, 1 tsp of garlic powder, salt, and pepper. These ingredients come together to create a rich and flavorful base for the casserole.
The star of the show, of course, is the tater tots. I prefer to use frozen tater tots, but you can also use homemade tater tots if you prefer. Just make sure to spread them out in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish before adding the beef mixture.
What Tater Tot Casserole Goes With
One of the best things about tater tot casserole is that it’s a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides, even though it’s pretty darn good on its own.
Also, it makes a great side dish for many grilled and BBQ dishes. Here are a few ideas for main meals that work great with tater tot casserole as a side dish:
- Grilled burgers – Serve the tater tot casserole as a side to a juicy grilled burger for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- BBQ pulled pork – The tater tot casserole would be a great side for BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
- Grilled chicken – Serve the tater tot casserole as a side to grilled chicken for a comforting and satisfying meal.
- Ribs – The rich and cheesy tater tot casserole would be a great side for a plate of BBQ ribs.
- Grilled steak – Tater tot casserole would be a great side for a grilled steak.
- Grilled sausage – The casserole will pair well with any kind of grilled sausage, whether it be bratwurst, kielbasa, or chorizo.
- Grilled fish – Tater tot casserole would be a great side for grilled fish like salmon or tilapia.
- Grilled vegetables – The casserole will be a great side for grilled vegetables such as corn on the cob, eggplant, peppers, or mushrooms.
If you’re using the casserole as a main meal, here are some quick ideas of sides to serve alongside it:
- A simple green salad – the freshness and crunch of the greens will complement the richness of the casserole nicely.
- Roasted vegetables – broccoli, green beans, or carrots would all be great options.
- Garlic bread or rolls – something to sop up the delicious sauce and cheese.
- Coleslaw – the tangy and creamy coleslaw will cut through the richness of the casserole.
- Baked beans – a classic side dish that would pair well with the beef and cheese in the casserole.
Another great thing about tater tot casserole is that it’s perfect for meal prepping and leftovers. You can make a big batch of the recipe and store it in the fridge or freezer for an easy meal later on.
Tater tot casserole is a great recipe to have in your back pocket – it’s easy to make, versatile, and equally perfect for meal prepping as well as a side dish. So go ahead, give this recipe a try and let us know how it turns out! I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we do.
Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag frozen tater tots 32 oz
- chives (optional) to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain the excess grease.
- Add the diced onion and garlic powder to the skillet and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream until well combined.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spread the tater tots evenly in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Pour the beef mixture over the tater tots.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tater tots are golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Optionally garnish with chives. Enjoy!