This content contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link on this page, we might receive a commission at no cost to you.
This recipe is for a delicious and hearty brisket grilled cheese sandwich. It’s the perfect meal for when you’re craving something comforting and satisfying. The combination of tender, smoky brisket and gooey, melted cheese between two slices of toasted sourdough bread is sure to hit the spot.
A Primer On Brisket
Brisket is a cut of beef that comes from the chest or lower chest of the cow. It’s a tough cut of meat that requires slow cooking to become tender and flavorful. But, the effort is definitely worth it! The smoky, rich flavor of the brisket pairs perfectly with the sharp cheddar cheese, giving the sandwich a bold and satisfying taste.
Chopped vs Sliced Brisket for Grilled Cheese
We think sliced brisket is generally the better of the two options for this sandwich, as it allows for even distribution of the meat throughout the sandwich and makes it easier to bite into. Sliced brisket is typically cut against the grain, which helps to make it more tender.
Chopped brisket, on the other hand, can eat slightly more chewy in this sandwich – especially if you meat came from the flat section of the brisket, not the fattier point side. So while chopped brisket can still be delicious in a sandwich, it may be a bit harder to bite into and chew.
Another thing to consider is that for the sandwich you don’t want to overpower the flavor of the cheese and bread with too much brisket. So, using sliced brisket allows you to control how much meat you put in the sandwich and make sure that it doesn’t become overwhelming.
What Goes In A Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
The key to any great meal is balance in the ingredients. All of these ingredients come together to create a delicious, hearty sandwich that is perfect for a quick lunch or a satisfying dinner. The tangy sourdough bread, the sharp cheddar cheese, and the rich, smoky brisket all complement each other perfectly, while the butter adds a nice richness to the sandwich.
- Sourdough Bread: Sourdough bread is a type of bread that is made using a fermented starter instead of commercial yeast. We chose it here for its distinct tangy flavor and a chewy texture that pairs well with the rich, smoky flavor of the brisket and the gooey cheese. Sourdough bread also has a nice crust that adds a nice texture to the sandwich.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese is a type of cheddar that is aged for a longer period of time than regular cheddar, which gives it a stronger and sharper flavor. This type of cheese is ideal for a grilled cheese sandwich because it melts well and provides a nice balance to the rich flavor of the brisket.
- Brisket: As I mentioned before, brisket is a cut of beef that comes from the chest or lower chest of the cow. It’s a tough cut of meat that requires slow cooking to become tender and flavorful. Brisket can be cooked in a variety of ways, such as smoking, braising, or slow-cooking, but for this recipe, it’s best to use pre-cooked brisket (possibly leftover brisket from your BBQ!) that is already tender and flavorful.
- Butter: A key ingredient for a classic grilled cheese sandwich is butter. The butter is used to spread on the bread before grilling, it helps to make the bread crispy and golden brown on the outside, while keeping the inside soft and chewy. Also the butter adds a nice richness to the sandwich.
Making Your Grilled Cheese
The key to making the perfect brisket grilled cheese sandwich is to start with high-quality ingredients. Use good quality sourdough bread and sharp cheddar cheese. You can either purchase pre-cooked or smoke it at home. For those who want to prepare the brisket at home, you can smoke it low and slow for several hours until it’s tender and juicy.
To assemble the sandwich, butter one side of each slice of bread and place one slice butter-side-down on a plate or cutting board. Add the slices of cheese on top of the bread, followed by the brisket. Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up. Carefully place the sandwich on the grill or grill pan and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
When it’s done, remove the sandwich from the grill and let it cool for a minute before slicing and serving. The result is a delicious, hot, and cheesy sandwich that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It’s perfect for a quick lunch or a hearty dinner, and it’s guaranteed to satisfy your cravings for something comforting and delicious. So, fire up your grill and give this brisket grilled cheese sandwich a try, you won’t regret it.
There you have it! An all time classic brisket sandwich. Did you try our recipe? Let us know how you liked it and what you would change, if anything!
Brisket Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2-4 oz sliced brisket
- 1-2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat your grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, on a plate or cutting board.
- Spread cream cheese and add the slices of cheese on top of the bread.
- Add the brisket on top of the cheese.
- Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- Carefully place the sandwich on the skillet.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the grill and let it cool for a minute before slicing and serving. Enjoy!