This content contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link on this page, we might receive a commission at no cost to you.
Barbecue is an incredibly democratic food – Michael Pollan
Grilling isn’t just about tradition and secret recipes that are passed down from one generation to the next.
Admittedly, those factors do play important roles in its ongoing legacy, but it’s also about cooking from the heart, pouring your spirit into everything that you cook, and spending time with those closest to you.
Bob Dylan once said that “You don’t need to be a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows” and, thinly veiled political allegories aside, he was right. You don’t have to be born into a legacy or have made something your life’s work in order to enjoy it.
With a little scientific knowledge, anyone can predict the weather and with a little enthusiasm and energy, anyone can learn how to grill.
In fact, the only thing that you really need to start down the road on your journey to grilling glory is a good grill. And while good grills come in all shapes and sizes, if you really want to master the art of grilling, the easiest way to conquer the fundamentals and climb every barbecuing mountain in your path is with a combination grill.
While a lot of dedicated grillers swear by a single grilling medium, we’ve always believed that knowledge is the key to great grilling success.
That’s why we’ve come up with a list of our favorite, and we think the best, gas and charcoal combination grills that any would-be griller can use to transform their grilling game and enter a new world of culinary adventure. Let’s light some grilling fires and cook up a storm…
Top 5 Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grills Reviewed
Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
Char-Griller knows that grills aren’t just about cooking great food, they’re also a source of long-lasting, happy memories.
That’s why they design their grills to be hardworking and satisfy the appetites of the average American families because they care about their customers as much as they care about designing and manufacturing their incredible grills.
With a total combined cooking surface area of one thousand two hundred square inches that’s spread over its separate charcoal and gas grills and side burner, the 5050 has enough cooking capacity to cope with the dietary demands of the largest family gatherings.
Featuring three gas burners that kick out a staggering forty-one thousand BTU’s (or British Thermal Units for the grilling newbies) of cooking power and an astonishingly easy to use charcoal grill that’ll imbue all of your food with a rich smoky flavor, the 5050 is the dream machine combination grill that’ll find a special place in the hearts of barbecuing amateurs and grilling veterans everywhere.
Made from heavy grade steel to be durable and last for a lifetime of grilling and cooking, the 5050 uses porcelain coated grilling plates and an easy dump ash pan so that cleaning up when you’ve finished cooking is even easier than grilling.
Char-Griller has thought of everything and has instilled the 5050 with the raw, unfettered spirit of American grilling adventure.
- With over one thousand square inches of total grilling power, the 5050 can easily stake a claim to the crown of the grilling world. That’s an incredible amount of cooking space that you’ll be able to use every millimeter of thanks to Char-Griller’s extremely efficient, well-engineered design.
- Easy to set up and use, the 5050 takes all of the pain out of the grilling equation. It even has an electronic ignition to minimize any inconvenience the grilling process might throw your way.
- Its heavy steel construction means that it’s tougher than a blue-collar Pennsylvania miner, and thanks to its side table that you can use to stack everything that you’re about to grill and have already cooked on, it’s just as good as doing its job as the aforementioned miner is.
- The three-burner gas-fired grill will happily push forty-one thousand BTU’s of heat that you can use to grill and cook to your heart’s content. That’s an awful lot of heat for one little grill. And that’s just the gas grill, when you add the charcoal grill into the mix, you’ll end up with more heat than you can comfortably handle.
- It’s easy empty ash can and porcelain-coated grilling racks mean the 5050 is also ridiculously simple and straightforward to clean when your grilling day is done. And who doesn’t like an easy clean up?
- It isn’t exactly the most portable grill that could make its way into, and light up your yard. Weighing in at one hundred sixty pounds, the 5050 will make its entrance, and you’ve set it up, it’ll almost certainly stay in the same spot until you can find a dedicated team of muscle-bound grilling enthusiasts to help you move it. Because there’s no way that you’ll be able to move it yourself without doing some serious harm to your person.
Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo
When you absolutely need someone to help you smoke your meat, you head to the King of the Smokers, Oklahoma Joe.
A brand that started life with a handful of smokers at the Oklahoma State Fair at the tail-end of the nineteen-eighties, Oklahoma Joe’s has, in the last four decades, risen to the top of the smoking and the barbecuing world.
And their charcoal and gas combination smoker, also known as the Longhorn is the culmination of everything that they’ve learned about grilling so far.
Made from heavy-gauge steel, the longhorn has a total cooking space of more than one thousand square inches, with seven hundred and fifty of those in the main cooking chamber that’s heated by the charcoal powered, easy to load and clean, side-mounted firebox.
The gas grill is powered by three twelve thousand BTU burners, which gives it a total cooking power of thirty-six thousand BTU’s, which means you’ll have more grilling power available at the tip of your fingers than you’ll know what to do with.
It even has a separate, twelve thousand BTU side burner, just in case, and in the unlikely event that you ever run out of grilling room and need to throw an extra couple of burgers on to keep any unexpected, but most welcome, guests fed.
The Longhorn also has lid-mounted temperature gauges so you’ll know how hot both grills are at all times, which will let you grill, barbecue and smoke as much as you want to, when you want to.
Oklahoma Joe’s has always prided itself on letting you take the grilling and smoking reins and giving you the freedom to find your own feet in the barbecue world.
And the Longhorn is the grill that’ll help you to discover your inner culinary genius.
- With more than one thousand square inches of available cooking space, the Longhorn has the room, and the power, to cook everything that you’ll ever need to feed the hungriest of hungry party crowds.
- The Longhorn’s multiple, easily adjustable dampers will let you control the heat of both grills and the amount of smoke that you’ll be able to channel through, and from the charcoal firebox, so you’ll be able to cook whatever you want, however you want.
- The gas grill uses three separate twelve thousand BTU burners that pack enough punch to cook anything and everything that you’ll ever want them to.
- It’s made from heavy-gauge steel and is tougher than an old iron-clad battleship. The Longhorn was made to, and will, outlast and out grill, out smoke, and out cook it’s competition.
- All that smoking and grilling versatility and power comes at a price, which in the Longhorn’s case is its weight. At more than two hundred pounds, it isn’t the sort of grill that you’ll be able to move around your yard with ease. Once you’ve found a place for it in your yard, it won’t be going anywhere ever again.
BLOSSOMZ Charcoal Gas Combination Grill
The Kaiser Soze of the grilling world, Blossomz is a brand that hides in the background and lets their grills do all their talking for them.
And when a grill shouts as loud as their combination charcoal and gas-fueled unit does you won’t care about anything other than what it can, and will do for you when you fire it up.
Designed with the more conservative griller in mind, the Blossomz combo unit has a total cooking space of five hundred and sixty inches, with the charcoal side taking up three hundred of those square inches and the twenty-four thousand BTU powered gas grill claiming the other two hundred and sixty.
With an additional side-mounted, propane grill to boost your grilling potential should you need it, the Blossomz might not be the biggest combination grill, but sometimes it isn’t the size of your grill that matters, it’s what you do with it that counts.
You might not have heard of them and they might be a grilling ghost, but Blossomz has designed their fashioned from heavy-duty steel combination grill to be durable, strong, and easy to use.
At the end of the day, names don’t do the cooking, grills do and this grill will cook everything you need it to whenever you want it to.
- It may not the biggest grill on our list, but size isn’t everything. If you’re looking for a smaller, more family-friendly grill this is the perfect way to fill that grilling gap in your life.
- And, you won’t be paying for a brand name if you decide that your grilling future lies in Blossomz hands as it’s a reassuringly affordable machine to begin your grilling escapades with.
- The Blossomz fully removable ashtray and chrome coated grilling racks make it almost as easy to clean as it is to use.
- There’s a chorus, admittedly a small one, of dissenting voices who are less than satisfied with the manufacturing quality of this combination grill, which hasn’t lived up to their expectations. Even though they’re not numerous, it might be worth listening to what these voices have to say, and even though we’ve never had a problem with this grill, it can’t hurt to get a second opinion.
Royal Gourmet Charcoal and Gas Grill Combo
A professional grill manufacturing brand that has flung their doors open to welcome any and all grillers, Royal Gourmet invests all of their grills with a rare level of experience and dedication to their chosen craft.
Wanting nothing more than to raise a toast to life with everyone fortunate enough to use one of their grills, Royal Gourmet is the brand of choice for those who prefer the finer things in life.
Royal Gourmet’s dual-fuel grill has an impressive six hundred and ten square inches of cooking space that’s shared equally between its charcoal grill and it’s twenty-seven thousand BTU three burner gas-powered grill.
Using Royal Gourmet’s easy cleanup system that includes an easy dump ashcan, simple to remove and drain grease trap, and porcelain-coated cast-iron grates, this versatile combination grill is made to cater and serve the sort of family gatherings where lifelong memories are made.
Proudly referring to themselves as your professional grill master, Royal Gourmet makes the sort of grills that won’t let you down when it matters the most.
A name that you put your faith in and trust, Royal Gourmet will always be there to help you to step up to the plate and do what you need to do when the grilling hour arrives.
- Six hundred square inches of cooking space might not sound like a lot, but when it comes to grilling time, it’ll be all the room that you and your family will need to barbecue and grill like royalty.
- Easy to use and simple to set-up, Royal Gourmet has ensured that their combo grill is just as easy to clean as it is to use and as such it will exponentially improve your grilling life and the time that you spend cooking and cleaning up afterward.
- Engineered to provide endless hours of grilling, it’s been built from heavy-duty steel and made to last and withstand all of the rigors and punishment that family grilling life will bestow upon it.
- It’s another combo grill that appears to be plagued by manufacturing issues and design flaws, and while the time that we’ve spent grilling with Royal Gourmet has been disaster-free, the same can’t be said for other grillers who are less than happy with this grill.
- Like every other combo grill that we’ve been fortunate to cross paths with, the biggest failure of the Royal Gourmet is its weight. At one hundred and twenty pounds, it wasn’t made to be portable and once it’s been installed in your yard, it won’t be going anywhere.
Char-Broil Gas2Coal Propane Charcoal Hybrid Grill
Char-Broil provides themselves on the fact that they make grills for every griller.
A one-stop grilling brand that has something for every outdoor cook and everything in between, Char-Broil isn’t content to rest on their laurels and continually pushes the boundaries of grilling innovation in an effort to satisfy the needs, and satiate the appetites, of every potential grilling enthusiast.
An inventive and innovative hybrid grill that converts from cooking with gas using its forty thousand BTH burners into a charcoal grill in less than sixty seconds without the need for tools, Char-Broils dual-fuel grill has forty and twenty inches of total cooking space.
A best of both worlds grill that lets you hop between both easily, Char-Broils hybrid is engineered to let you decide which medium you want to use and when you want to use it.
With an additional twelve thousand BTU side burner that’ll let you use both propane and charcoal at the same time, this hybrid is simple to set up and easy to clean and will let you skip between charcoal and gas at will, or enjoy the benefits of both.
Life is easier, and infinitely more fun when it’s lived the Char-Broil way.
- Given how compact it is, the Char-Broil has an incredible amount of cooking space. Four hundred and twenty square inches should provide all the room you’ll ever need to keep your family happy and well-fed whenever you decide to grill.
- And the side burner is a nice additional touch that ups your grilling power and gives you that extra edge when you need it. It’s always nice to have some additional grilling power waiting in the wings, just in case it’s ever needed.
- It isn’t a traditional gas and charcoal combination grill, it’s hybrid and switching between charcoal and propane can be a little inconvenient and difficult. If the idea of being able to fully relax and not have to worry about anything other than what you’ve got cooking while you’re grilling is your ideal grilling fantasy, then the Char-Broil isn’t the grill that you’ve been looking for. However, if you like a challenge, and dipping your toes into something new and exciting, then you’ll find everything that you’ve been searching for with this Char-Broil hybrid.
Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grill Buyers Guide
Which Charcoal Gas Combo Grill Is The Right One For Me?
Usually, we’d advise you to set a budget and rigidly adhere to it before deciding which combination grill to invest in.
However, while all of the combination grills are excellent at what they do and what they’ve been designed and engineered to do, one grill on our list stands head and shoulders above the others and has, since we first used it, always been our go-to combination grill. And that’s the Longhorn.
As far as we’re concerned, there’s only one way to grill, and that’s the Oklahoma Joe way. And after you’ve spent a day grilling with it, we’re sure you’ll become a Joe fan too.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Gas Charcoal Combo Grill?
A Charcoal Gas combo, or combination, the grill is an oven that has been designed to be used outside that uses both charcoal and gas as sources of fuel.
Combining the clean cook of a conventional gas grill with the richer, more densely layered flavors that a charcoal grill imbues food with, a combination grill is more versatile than a single medium grill and allows the griller to experience the best that both grilling with propane and charcoal has to offer in one convenient grill.